- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup quick-cooking oat
- at least one cup grated cheese (cheddar, swiss, jack or american)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 ounces tomato sauce or more
- 2 1/2 ounces or so of BBQ sauce
- 3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 TBS of garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Add salt to water and boil in a saucepan.
Add lentils and simmer covered 25-30 minutes, until lentils are soft and most of water is evaporated.
Remove from fire.
Drain and partially mash lentils.
Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
Stir in onion, oats and cheese until mixed.
Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt and pepper.
Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with Pam (non-stick cooking spray) or well-greased.
Smooth top with back of spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30- 45 minutes until top of loaf is dry, firm and golden brown.